SGT University is constantly working towards its mission of delivering quality Education and preparing potential intellectuals in a number of disciplines. Faculty of Education is another feather in its cap which offers Teacher Education courses like
- Bachelor of Education
- Master of Education
Bachelor of Education program is comprised of three broad interrelated curricular areas-
- Perspectives in Education which include courses related to Child Development, Contemporary India, Learning and Teaching, Knowledge and Curriculum etc. These courses help the students to delve deep into the basics of Teacher Education. The courses intend to develop a conceptual understanding about issues of child development, history of education, diversity, inequality and marginalization in Indian society and the implications for education.
- Curriculum and Pedagogic Studies facilitate in the development of teaching skills among students which enable them to become effective teachers. These courses shall also aim to develop in students an understanding of the curriculum and linking school knowledge with community life.
- Engagement with the field as a part of course curriculum is a perceptible strength of the programme. Such field work/ projects enables students in putting their theoretical knowledge of the discipline into practice leading to holistic development of would be teachers.
The Master of Education (M.Ed.) Programme is designed to provide opportunities to would be Teacher Educators to extend as well as deepen their knowledge and understanding of Education, Specialize in select areas and also develop research competencies leading to specialization in either Elementary Education or Secondary Education.
The main goal of Faculty of Education is to facilitate learning among the prospective teachers in such a way that when they enter into the profession of teaching they become encouraging, supportive and humane facilitators in teaching-learning situations who enables the students to discover their talents, to realize their physical and intellectual potentialities to the fullest, to develop character and desirable social and human values to function as responsible citizens.
- To provide opportunities to observe and engage with children, communicate with and relate to children
- To provide opportunities for self-learning, reflection, assimilation and articulation of new ideas; developing capacities for self directed learning and the ability to think, be self-critical and to work in groups.
- To provide opportunities for understanding self and others including one’s beliefs, assumptions and emotions; developing the ability for self analysis, self-evaluation, adaptability, flexibility, creativity and innovation.
- To provide opportunities to enhance understanding, knowledge and examine disciplinary knowledge and social realities, relate subject matter with the social milieu and develop critical thinking.
- To provide opportunities to develop professional skills in pedagogy, observation, documentation, analysis, drama, craft, story-telling and reflective inquiry
Duration of the Study:
The duration of the course of instruction for the Degree of Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.) and Master of Education (M.Ed.) shall be of two academic years each.
B.Ed. – Candidates with at least 50% marks either in the Bachelor Degree and/ or in the Masters Degree or any other qualification (47.5% marks for SC/ ST candidates of Haryana State only) recognized as equivalent thereto are eligible for admission to the programme.
M.Ed. – A candidate who has passed one of the following examinations shall be eligible to join M.Ed. course:
- Ed. examination obtaining not less than 50% marks in the aggregate (47.5% marks for SC/ ST candidates of Haryana State only)
- Any other examination recognized by this University as equivalent to (a) above with not less than 50% marks in the aggregate
Problem solving method, project method, brain storming, didactic method, student interactive sessions, blended learning, group discussions, power point presentations, case studies, demonstration method, visit to language lab, science lab, ICT lab, schools, government bodies related to education, NGOs for community based projects, visit to museums of science and art and observation and internship in schools.
- The products of B. Ed. programme can join the noble profession of teaching in Govt. / Private Schools. They can also find placement as Counselors (with MA Psychology/ diploma in Guidance and Counseling), as Education consultants, subject and pedagogy experts in companies like Extramarks etc. One may also open his/her own school. Bank also finances for setting up new schools. Another opportunity after B.Ed. is to become academic content writers or academic counsellors.
- The products of M.Ed. programme can find placements as Teacher Educators in IASEs, DIETs, Directorates of Education, Councils of Secondary/Higher Secondary Education, SCERTs, Colleges of Education and University Education Departments. They also become eligible for working in various Government funded projects related to education in different universities as Project Coordinators or Project Assistants.
Third Semester shall entail a field engagement for internship, wherein the first week will be exclusively dedicated to observing a regular classroom with a regular teacher and would include peer observations, teacher observations and functioning of the school. In the next 16 weeks of internship the student teacher shall be engaged in teaching experience wherein the aim shall be meaningful and holistic engagement including the writing of reflective journals. During the internship, a student-teacher shall work as a regular teacher and participate in all the school activities, including planning, teaching and assessment, interacting with school teachers, community members and children.
The student teacher will be required to deliver at least 80 lessons in the school, taking 40 lessons from each of his/ her pedagogy subjects, under the supervision of the mentor school teacher and a teacher educator.
Students are required to conduct action research and case study of two school students during their internship programme and to make a brief report on these two after completing the research. Students are also motivated to participate and present papers in the seminars and conferences related to the field of education.
Summer and Winter Placement
Summer and winter placement/training will be arranged in Institutions other than schools as and when feasible.