EPC 2: Drama and Art in Education
|Unit – I||Understanding Drama and Arts in Education
Desirable to Know
|Unit – II||
Nice to Know
- Role Playing activity for historical/ contemporary personalities wherein students play
the role of that personality to advocate his/ her opinions/ decisions/ thought processes (for
example, Akbar, Mahatma Gandhi, Galileo, Bhagat Singh etc.)
- Write a self-reflective essay on how this course on art will make you a better teacher
- Learn and briefly explain how music notations are made. Submit a brief report or learn
and explain the concept of composition in visual art. Submit a brief report or make
and submit a sample advertisement for a product or Learn Mudras of a classical dance
forms and hold a session for the students on that. Submit photo report of the same
- Carry out web search on Indian sculpture and submit a brief compilation
- Organizing Art, Craft and Music exercises with small groups followed by discussions and
- Observe an art period in a school and briefly write your reflections on it.
- Chawla, S.S. (1986). Teaching of Art. Patiala: Publication Bureau, Punjabi University
- Dodd, N. and Winifred, H. (1971/1980). Drama and Theatre in Education, London: Heinmann.
- Efland, A. D. (1990). A History of Art Education: Intellectual and Social Currents in teaching the Visual Arts. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.
- Harriet, G. (1964). Art in Everyday Life. Calcutta: Oxford and IBH Publishing Company.
- Khanna, S. and NBT (1992). Joy of Making Indian Toys, Popular Science. New Delhi: NBT.
- McCaslin, N. (1987). Creative Drama in the Primary Grades. Vol. I and In the Intermediate Grades, Vol. II, New York/ London: Longman.
- Mishra, A. (2004). Aaj bhi Khareinhai Talaab, Gandhi Peace Foundation, 5th Edition.
- Narayan, S. (1997). Gandhi Views on Education: Buniyadi Shiksha [Basic Education]
- The Selected Works of Gandhi; The Voice of Truth, Vol 6, Navajivan Publishing house.
- NCERT (2006). Position Paper National Focus Group on Arts, Music, Dance and Theatre, New Delhi: NCERT.
- Prasad, D. (1998). Art as the Basis of Education, NBT, New Delhi.
- Sahi, J. and Sahi, R. (2009). Learning Through Art, Eklavya.
- Shirley, G. (2000). Art, an A to Z Guide. Franklin Watts: USA.
- Vaze, P. (1999). How to Draw and Paint Nature. Jyosna Prakashan: Mumbai.
- Ward, A. (1993). Sound and Music. Franklin Watts: New York.
- Ghosh, Santidev, Music and Dance in Rabindranath Tagore’s Philosophy, New Delhi: Sangeet Natak Akademi, 1978
- Khokar, Mohan, Traditions of Indian Classical Dance, Delhi: Clarion Books, First ed., 1979
- Kothari, Dr. Sunil (edited by), New Directions in Indian Dance, Mumbai: Marg Publications, Vol.55 No.2, December 2003.